If you are a person from an extra-EU community country and want to come to reside and / or work in Spain, you will have to apply for a visa at the Spanish consulate in the country where you are residing.

If you come to Spain as a tourist or to visit a family member, you will need a visa that you must request at the Spanish consulate of your place of residence as long as your country does not have a visa waiver agreement with Spain or the “Schengen area”, In which case it will not be necessary.

As a general rule, being in Spain, you can only obtain a residence and work authorization through social roots after having spent three years in Spain. Among other documents, you will have to present documents that show that you have been in Spain for three years, and own financial means or of a direct family member for your livelihood in Spain.

There are two exceptions to this general rule within what is called family roots. One of the assumptions would be the case in which the person without documentation had a person under his care of Spanish nationality, and the other, the case of being a son of a father or mother originally Spanish.

After having spent two years in Spain and as long as the existence of labor relations is accredited whose duration is not less than six months, by means of a judicial resolution or conciliation act in judicial route that recognizes it, or administrative resolution confirming the minutes of infraction of the Labor and Social Security Inspection, it could request a labor establishment.

As a general rule, for the renewal of the residence and work authorization it is necessary that there has been a Social Security contribution.

For residence and work authorizations, if the worker has contributed at least 3 months per year, he/she may renew if he/she is working at the time of the renovation, he/she was actively seeking employment and lost his last job due to causes foreign to his will.

If you contributed 6 months per year, you can renew if you are working at the time of renewal.

If you contributed 9 months per year, you will not need to present a contract if it is shown that you have been actively seeking employment and lost your last job for reasons beyond your control.

In order to obtain a long-term residence authorization, you must have resided in Spain with a residence permit (and / or residence and work) during the last five years. It is not necessary to prove that you have contributed to Social Security, however, it will be considered the times you have left the country.

The person who intends to apply for a long-term residence authorization should not have left Spain for more than 10 months in the last five years and never more than 6 months in a row. The complete copy of the passport must be presented and if this passport has been changed within the last five years, the complete copy of the previous passport must also be submitted.

If the minor was born in Spain, he may obtain a residence permit if any of his parents has the residence permit in Spain. In this case, it would only be necessary to demonstrate family affiliation and family registration where they are residing.

If the minor has not been born in Spain and is in Spain, he can only obtain the residence permit if he has been in Spain for a minimum of two years and any of his parents or legal guardians has the authorization of residence in Spain. In addition, if the minor is of school age, it must be demonstrated that he / she is in school, and also that the person in charge of the property has financial means and a home for rent or property.

If you have a renewed residence and work authorization, you can regroup your children and spouse who are outside of Spain to come and reside with you. It will be necessary to prove economic means and housing. If you have a long-term residence permit, you can regroup your parents if they are over sixty-five years old and there are reasons that justify the need to authorize residence in Spain. You must show that you live in your capacity by proving that the group has transferred funds or expenses to their ascendant of at least 51% of the gross domestic product per capita, on an annual basis, of the country of origin.

150% of the IPREM (806.76 euros / month) must be accredited in the case of a family of two members. If it were a family of 3 members, it would be 200% of the IPREM (1,075.68 euros / month) and 50% more for each extra member (268.92 euros). The house will be justified through a habitability report issued by the competent body of the Autonomous Community.

Spanish nationality can be obtained either by residence, letter of nature, origin, by possession of state or by option.

Direct ascendants, direct descendants (children), spouses or unmarried partners or those relatives who are in charge of the community relative and whose financial support is provided by the EU citizen can apply for the residence of a family relative.

In all cases, the family bond, economic means and, where appropriate, economic dependence from the country of origin must be accredited.

This residence authorization will be granted for a period of five years.

National team of EU member countries who intend to get to reside and / or work in Spain must register as citizens / community / as residing in Spain.

These should prove own economic means or submit an employment contract.

On the following website, you can request an appointment in the following provinces and for the following procedures:

And if you want to know how your immigration procedure is going, you can see it in the following link:

Yes. To do this, you must enter with the corresponding visa to stay for studies or research, which you will have obtained by accrediting that you meet the requirements for your entry and stay in Spain, which has been admitted to a teaching or scientific center, public or private, officially recognized and that it has the sufficient economic means to cover the cost of its studies and to attend to its subsistence, expenses of stay and return and, where appropriate, those of its relatives. Once in Spain, you must request the appropriate Foreigner Identity Card within one month of your entry into our country.

Yes. Foreigners who have applied for a study or research visa, or who are in Spain in a situation of stay for studies may apply for the corresponding stay visas for their relatives (spouse and children under 18 years of age or subject to their homeland power or guardianship) enter and remain legally in Spain for the duration of such studies or research, without requiring a prior period of stay to the foreign student or researcher. Such visas may be requested simultaneously with the application for a study visa by the student or researcher, or at any later time, during the period of validity of the authorization to stay for studies.

The regulations say in this regard that foreigners who are in Spain in a situation of stay for studies will be able to access the situation of residence and work without needing to apply for a visa when the employer –the one who wants to hire you-, as a legitimate subject, presents the Application for authorization to reside and work in the office of foreigners and the general labor requirements are met, except that of the national employment situation, which does not apply, and it is also proved that the foreigner:

– He has remained in Spain for at least three years in the situation of stay for studies.

– He has carried out the studies or the research work with success – it will be your study center who must certify this-

– It has not been awarded or subsidized by public or private organizations within cooperation or development programs of the country of origin.

You will be given a residence and initial work authorization, for one year, which will take effect when the company discharges you as a worker in Social Security – for which you have one month from the notification of the authorization.

From the time of discharge you have one month to request the foreigner’s identity card.


IMPORTANT: The residence and work authorization must be requested during the three months prior to the termination of the stay authorization for studies. The request made within this period will extend the validity of the authorization of stay of the student or researcher, until resolution falls on it.

Each country has its own educational system. For this reason, the approval implies the equivalence to an official title of the Spanish education system.

It is best that you go to the Government Delegation of the Ministry of Education and Science of your city or to the Ministry itself in Madrid. There they will inform you about whether the title you want to approve is included in the Catalog of Recognized Titles and the documentation that you have to provide.

No approval process is required when dealing with children under 17 who wish to join any of the courses that make up compulsory education.

Approval procedures are required for post-compulsory secondary education studies, Bachelor studies, Vocational Training, University (from 16 years of age).

Golden Visa

A Residence visa for a one-year residency.

Two-year residence permit that can be renewed:

– If the investment is maintained, and

– If you have made at least one visit to Spain during the residency period.

To request the initial residence permit you must already hold an investor visa.

The residence permit allows its holder to live and work anywhere in Spain.

The awarding of this residence permit does not require actual residence in Spain, which is considered to be that over 183 days. The only requirement is to visit Spain once during the period of residence.

Combined processing of permits for couples and their children.


Investors who make a significant investment in Spain:

– Real estate assets (€500,000)

– Shares or bank deposits (€1 million)

– Public debt (€2 million)

– Business projects in Spain considered being of general interest.

  • Visas will be processed at the Spanish Consulate in your country of origin or residence.
  • Residence permits will be processed by the Large Business and Strategic Groups Unit [Unidad de Grandes Empresas y Colectivos Estratégicos (UGE-CE)].
  • General documents:

– Identity document or passport.

– Public or private health insurance taken out with a company operating in Spain.

– Background check.

– Proof of sufficient funds to support the applicant and members of his/her family during residence in Spain.

Documents providing proof of the investment:


Property: certificate of registration of the property and purchase deeds of the real estate.

  • Unlisted shares and equity: statement of investment filed with the Investments Register of the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (Registro de Inversiones).
  • Listed shares: document from a financial broker registered with the National Securities Market Commission (CMNV) or the Bank of Spain.
  • Public debt: certificate from the financial institution or the Bank of Spain indicating that the applicant has been the sole owner of the investment for a period of not less than five years.
  • Bank deposits: certificate from the financial institution indicating that the applicant is the sole owner of the bank deposit.
  • Business project: before applying for a visa or permit, a favorable report is required on the business and entrepreneurial activity intended to be carried out in Spain.

For visas, the report on the entrepreneurial activity of interest should be requested from the Spanish Economic and Trade Office in the same area where the visa is requested.

For residence permits, the general interest report should be requested before applying for a residence permit at the Directorate-General for Trade and Investment.


What should I bring to request the report?

The business plan of the project, specifically: the professional profile of the investor, the type of business activity, the number of jobs that will be created, the features and qualifications required for each, where the project will be set up (geographical area), how much the investment will be and the origin of the funds.


What is a project in the general interest?

One that creates jobs.

Investments with a social and economic impact on the geographical area where they are made.

One that makes a significant contribution to scientific and/or technological innovation.